Thursday, June 07, 2007

Research-Fly

Within the Trent media organisation there is a section called Fly. Fly is a radio station within Trent media. So when I was told abut this again I looked into it further as I had not heard of it before, so I looked into there current material this included things like there logo and things within there advertising structures including flyers and things then I thought about why I hadn’t already heard of this before. This could have been the case for a number of reasons, including there advertising structure was not very strong and there wasn’t a lot of info about the radio station out there and within there logos there wasn’t anything to tell people that the three sections within Trent media were connected in anyway for example I knew that want Trent media was but I didn’t no about the radio station on the Trent TV, I just thought it was all about the magazine. Also one other big factors with the radio station at the time of the project is that it only played at certain times for a very short length of time within the public places within the university campus which I thought was very poor as that is what is it all meant to be about the radio is free information and music for the public. However it can be listened to online in places like the library. So I thought this was something that definitely needs to improve on.

http://www.trentstudents.org/club_homepage.asp?clubid=8790

So after I had looked at all the information I thought about some of the basic ideas that were going around in my head

I cant change the name so it could be something to do with wings
Or fly like the way gangsters say it like to describe something good
It’s a radio so its got to have some kind of music
Continuity with the Trent media logo
More colour
Something that will attract people of my age
Online
Easy to access to listen online maybe a button on desktop
Maybe have podcasts for people to download

Then I looked at other local radio stations websites and radio stations that I listen to and looked at there advertising structures and packages

I looked at the galaxy website and other things within there package as it is my local radio station at home in Yorkshire and its ace and it is aimed around that same age range that fly is.

www.galaxy105.co.uk


Galaxy plays on all the different forms of media including online, digital radio freeview and sky and virgin media as well as good old FM radio on 105 in the Yorkshire Area.

Looking at this package I found that it was a very good package but that’s what you would expect from quite a large organisation like galaxy. There website has lots going on and uses a lot of colour this attracts I like the coloured scroll down boxes within the menus at the top these are good as not only are they very eye catching but it is good for the audience as it keeps things in some kind of colour coded structure within the website.

Galaxy also has a package including screen savers, wallpapers, car stickers, posters act which all contain the same colour scheme and logo. even the other area within the radio station including “Hirsty’s Daily Dose” show also stick to same logo and colour scheme within there posters and stickers etc.

I also looked other local stations around this area. I looked at Trent FM

Unlike Galaxy radio Trent FM is based on a larger age rang and therefore plays a larger variety of music to accommodate these people.

It also has a website that is very simple and effective it uses the same colour scheme throughout. it is very standard for a website for a radio station but in a good way, as this radio station is based on a lot more people from a larger age range so they are keeling it simpler to accommodate all those people where as galaxy is based on a a younger and smaller target audience. it is simple uses a lot of colour and had all the information needed for promote the radio station.

www.trentfm.co.uk

So looking at these radio stations and there material I think this is what Fly radio could be/have

Good strong logo
Lots of colour
Good website
More interaction with the audience

No comments: