Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Practise Based Research

For the next part of our research module we have a practise based section that we have to create a number of artifacts, in order to gain knowledge and a deeper understand of the the subject area that we have chosen, we had to answer the questions below

Please state the ‘question’ that the ‘research via practise’ (terms 2 and 3) will try to answer or explore?

How effective are various accessibility methods and techniques used in WEB site design?

(b) What type of artefacts/experiments that will be produced/conducted (e.g. short video clips, short animation sequences, building visualisation, audio listening tests with focus groups e.t.c.)? Note it is accepted that this may change as the research progresses past the first few artefacts.

I will create 5 small websites each exploring a different area of accessibility e.g colours, links, text size and multimedia. I will create a focus group containing a mixture of able bodied and people with different disabilities and impairments.

(c) Have you checked that the research meets the university ethical guidlines and will not require approval (if NOT checked or it requires approval then state the date on which you expect to obtain approval)? IF UNSURE WHAT THIS MEANS TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR!

Yes, although I will be asking people with disabilities for there opinion I will ensure that it meets the ethical guidelines. This means I will ensure that I do not ask children under 18 or people over 65.


(d) Have you checked that appropriate resources and facilities exist for you to produce/conduct the artefacts/experiments (If NO then explain how you will obtain the required appropriate resources and facilities)?

Yes all of the facilities are available for me to create my websites. I will use dreamweaver to create all of my artefacts which is available to me at home and at uni.

(e) How will you evaluate and/or reflect on the artefacts/experiments produced/conducted in (b) above (e.g. reflection, survey, focus group, statistical analysis e.t.c.)?

For each one of my artefacts I will write a 300 word reflection of of the artefact itself and how I think it can be used in order to answer the question. I will also use a focus group to gain statistical data, then analysis it.

(f) Please write down below the preparatory work you will do for the first artefact over the Christmas period:

I will read more what I have to do to meet all of the accessibility guidelines, for example I will look on what colours work best for people with sight impairments and what text size e.t.c. I will also begin designing my non-accessible site as this is the starting point of my research.


(g) What is the detail of the first artefact that will be demonstrated to the supervisor?

My first artefact will be a website that has limited or no accessibility. Although it will be a very simple site it will not meet any of accessibility guidelines or requirements. This will then be reflected on and compared with the next 5 websites to check ease of use and look at how it is inaccessible for disabled user. I will also people can use and navigate the non accessible website compared to the accessible one.

(h) On what date will the first artefact be shown to the supervisor? Please remember that on this date you will also provide a short 300 word evaluation and/or reflection summary as well as the actual artefact.

I will be presenting my first artefact along with the 300 evaluation on Thursday 29th of Jan 09

(i) How will you present the research conclusions from the artefacts/experiments and evaluations during week 43 (e.g. written document, slides and/or documentary film)? PLEASE NOTE THAT THE RESEARCH CONCLUSIONS MUST BE IN A FORM THAT CAN BE HANDED IN IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE PRESENTATION i.e. a permanent record of your conclusions and arguments needs to be submitted immediately after the presentation in week 43.

For my research conclusions I will be presenting a written document. This will contain all of my findings and conclusions of all of the artefacts and how they helped answer the question I set to explore.


(j) On what date will you be presenting your draft research conclusions to the supervisor for review (it is suggested 2 weeks before week 43 presentations)?

I will be presenting my first draft of conclusions Week 41 Thursday 7th May 2009

No comments: